Green Opportunities connects youth and adults from low-wealth neighborhoods to sustained employment opportunities that support families and improve community and environmental health.
We envision a community, made up of resilient, interconnected neighborhoods, whose residents have access to jobs that support their families and improve community and environmental health.
We accomplish our work through:
Our Training Approach
- On-the-job training for in-demand industries that offer clients a sense of accomplishment, provide relevant job knowledge and technical skills, and facilitate clients accessing jobs in their own communities. Students also work on hands-on projects, like preparing and serving meals in our community kitchen, that have a tangible impact on community health.
- Bundled services to program clients, integrating technical and life skills training, entrepreneurial training, case management—to assess individual clients’ goals and barriers and link clients to appropriate community support services—and academic support to assist clients in achieving a high school diploma or GED.
- Financial support in the form of stipends or temporary employment wages to provide a way out of financial crisis so that clients can focus throughout the training and placement period.
- Close collaboration with neighborhood associations, community leaders and other active community members in our target neighborhoods to build trust and develop a sense of ownership. Working closely with like-minded businesses creates employment opportunities for program graduates.
- We believe in meeting people where they are and providing them with the education, training, and support they need to empower themselves and their communities.
- We believe that true sustainability must include social and economic justice.
- We believe in holding ourselves accountable to serving the community with dignity and respect.
- We believe in creatively adapting to challenges and opportunities in order to accomplish our mission.
- We believe we must work together with other individuals and organizations in our community to achieve our goals.
- We believe in modeling diversity and cultural competency throughout the organization, and in leading the community toward a more inclusive local economy.